Sunday, May 15, 2011

Curtains... How to?


So, the turquoise fabric (seen here again) is perfect color-wise for the room. The size seems like it will also be perfect. I think I could literally cut it in half and each half would make a panel that would be the right size. However, I don't know how to make it work. All of the edges are unfinished, so I know I'd need to hem them somehow, but I'm NOT really a sewer. My grandmother gave me the most wonderful vintage sewing machine, but somehow every time I try to use it, I get the thread all snarled up. I am not exaggerating, every single time I have ever touched a sewing machine, I get it hopelessly snarled up. I even took home ec in high school and did it to EVERY SINGLE SEWING MACHINE in the class. Every time. Some day I will conquer my problems with sewing machines and be able to learn to use the beauty my grandmother gave me to take up quilting, but I don't think I have the time to do that all right now. So I thought about trying to use the fuse strips and iron the hems down, but I'm not really sure if it would be OK to iron this kind of fabric. It's a crispy kind of polyester I think. Right now, I'm considering getting some pretty red embroidery thread and doing a blanket stitch by hand along the edges, to give it a little extra color, and because I can definitely do it myself. The problem would be that it would take me quite a while to hand sew all of that yardage on four sides. The very final issue is the weight of the fabric. Although it's thin, it's HEAVY. I worry that it would too heavy for the dinky curtain rod I have and would pull the screws out of our wonky walls. Sigh. So, should I try and figure out a DIY way to turn the fabric into curtains, or just admit defeat and buy some actual curtain panels (cheap ones...)? I'm all ears. :)

7 comments:

  1. If you decide to go with the fusable tape (like Stitch Witchery), be sure you get a weight that doesn't make the edge too stiff to hang nicely. I'd probably take the fabric to the store with me and ask which one to use. And don't feel bad. I've been sewing for 53 years, and the last time I had my machine out, somehow I got the tension all messed up and it was doing just what you described. Frustration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe a local upholstery or drapery shop could finish the curtains for you. It would cost more than doing it yourself, but it may cost less than buying new panels. I think the fabric you have is better than any curtain panels you could buy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might check the website of a local high school and get the email address of the person in charge of the Career and Technical Education department. She might have a student who could do it for a very small price. (An outstanding architecture student at one of our high schools was recently paid to design a small lakehouse, so I know that sort of thing is done sometime.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This fabric is so beautiful and I hope you're able to get your curtains hanging soon :) BTW...I love your red rocker. It turned out just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew, I'm not much better at sewing, and for some reason, I never can sew a straight hem!

    Wish I had better advice for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wrote a crazy long response to each of you, and Blogger lost it. What is going on with Blogger these days??? Ugh!!!

    Long and short, thank you all for commenting and offering such great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. theres an EASY way to make curtains if you can sew- Iron on Hem tape.

    First iron your hem and curtain rod channel (just a large version of your hem really)the size you want them. When you have those ironed all nice and crisp, then cut the strip of tape and follow the directions on the package. I can sew and I'll do this on curtains so I don't have to hand sew hems on fabric I dont' want to have a visible seam on.

    ReplyDelete